Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Featured Blogger -- Andy of Poppies at Play!



One day during our blog browsing we came across a little something golden.....
that little something is Poppies at Play. We love their motto: dream it. create it. love it.
IT immediately caught our eye which is why it was a MUST to include Andy on our list of favorite blogs!
We are thrilled to introduce you to Andy and her blog - along with her beautiful work.

{1} Tell us about yourself & your blog, Poppies at Play.

Hello! My name is Andy and I am the author of Poppies at Play! I am married to Joe and together we have 5 beautiful children. The Joe works as a shop teacher at the local junior high and his interest in woodworking really gave me a desire to learn how to use power tools. I've developed a great love for creating, building and repurposing. I started blogging a couple of years ago in an effort to develop my creative talents. Poppies at Play is a place for me to house and catalog all of my repurposed furniture, vinyl designs and DIY home accessories. I also annually host a bloggy style parade of homes to showcase the interior design skills of talented bloggers.


{2} When did you realize you wanted to enter the bloggin' world?

When I began blogging I really didn't understand what it meant to enter into the blogging world. It was quite a thrilling surprise to see how many people shared similar hobbies and I am constantly amazed and inspired by woman who are successfully creating a warm and loving environment on a tight budget. I can definitely relate to pinching pennies! I am actually very glad that we don't have a lot of money. It's much more fun and fulfilling to decorate a home from scratch.

{One of Andy's DIY projects. See the kitchen island before here.}

{3} One of the things you show-off on your blog is your vinyls & the many projects you have done with them. When did your love of vinyls begin?

The Joe and I both have a desire to open a small store of our own one day. We thought it would be beneficial for us to own a large vinyl machine. When we first purchased it, I was completely clueless. If I wanted something made, I would ask The Joe to design and print it for me. Over the past two years I have really enjoyed learning about Illustrator and graphic design. Now I frequently use vinyl on my repurposed furniture or to create unique stencils.


I also love to design vinyl signs and have really been blessed by being able to make some extra money by selling vinyl and still have the pleasure of being at home with my children.


If you are interested is seeing which vinyl designs are for sale, you can hop over to The Market.


{4} Do you have a favorite post?

I don't really have a favorite post, but a surprisingly popular idea was Ding Dong Ditching with Ding Dongs. I designed a couple of simple printables to go along with the idea. It was definitely a one of my kids favorite activities!


{5} What are some of your favorite sites & blogs to surf?

One of my favorite sites to visit is Funky Junk Interiors. Donna is an amazing author and I love her tips on blogging and photography as well as her inspiring projects. I also really enjoy stopping by Apartment Therapy and Design Sponge.

{6} Just recently you showed of your home in the Parade of Houses. What is your favorite room in your house & why?

My favorite room in the house is my family room. It's not fancy, but it's the place where we spend the most time together as a family and where we get together with friends. It's also the room that changes most frequently. Maybe it's because I spend so much time looking at it. I'm trying to curb my addiction for change and be content with the way things are for a little while.

I wanted to keep this room very white and clean feeling. It helps to balance out my addiction to bright colors.

{DIY: Picture Frame Bookshelf}


{7} What is your favorite DIY project?

DIY projects are my very favorite!! I love to dream projects up in my head and then try to figure out how to make them come to life. It gives me such a great sense of accomplishment!! I love having The Joe come home from work and be impressed by something that I have built. I am really an amateur woodworker, but I loved building this picture frame bookshelf, our magazine rack, and with The Joe's help, our kitchen island shelf.


{DIY: Magazine Rack}

I would like to give a HUGE thank you to Casi and cupcakeMAG for featuring my blog!! It was an honor and I'm so completely flattered by the invitation!

Thank YOU Andy for being so amazing and sharing your blog with us!

Make sure you head over and follow Poppies at Play now and LIKE them on Facebook. Andy would love to have you along for the ride on their brand new page!

1 comment:

  1. Get immediate access to 16,000 woodworking plans.

    Teds Woodworking has more than 16,000 woodworking blueprints with STEP BY STEP instructions, pictures and blueprints to make every project simple and easy...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails